A Guide to Traveling Between Boston and New York
If you’re looking for a new vacation destination, then Boston is the perfect place to go. With its rich history and multicultural mix of locals, there’s plenty to do and see in this beautiful city. However, if you’re traveling between New York City and Boston by train or plane, it can be quite the journey. Luckily we’ve put together this guide on how to travel between these two great cities that will help make your travels easier!
Modes of transportation to travel between Boston and NY:
- Amtrak: Amtrak, a train company that runs in the US and Canada, is an affordable option for traveling between Boston and New York. They offer four trains each day to travel from Boston’s South Station to Grand Central Terminal in NYC. The tickets are as low as $49 each way and can be bought online or at the station. So, if you are searching for a fast, affordable way to travel between these two cities, Amtrak is the way to go!
- Traveling by Plane: Flying from Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) to New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) costs around $160 each way. Based on how many people are traveling with you, this can be an expensive option as well. If you’re searching for something cheaper and more private, though, there are short-term rental car options that allow up to four passengers per vehicle. You’ll have your own transportation if you choose this route, making it easier than waiting in lines at airport terminals too!
- Car Service: Another option that may work better for some travelers is car service between NY & BG (Boston). To avail the car service, you can book online or by phone. Once you’ve chosen your mode of transportation, the car service and driver will meet at a predetermined pickup location in New York City (often near LGA) to pick up passengers. Depending on how many people are going, it may be more cost-effective than renting a vehicle for each person!
- Bus: If you’re looking for something even cheaper than Amtrak, then bus travel may be more up your alley. Both Megabus and Boltbus offer buses that run daily between these two cities, with fares starting as low as $20 one way if booked early. The downside is that these buses don’t offer the most comfortable or reliable travel.
Private limo service:
If you’re planning on heading to the airport, then a private limo service is perfect for travel. They offer pickup and drop-off at your home or office, as well as luggage assistance, so you don’t have to think about how much space there will be in the car. If money’s no object, then limo service might just do the trick! You can check bostonexecutivelimoservice.com for more information.
- Airport shuttle: If it’s too far out of town for public transportation or if traffic is just terrible where you live, an airport shuttle may be able to help save time on those long trips! Service providers can meet passengers at their house with cars that fit up to six people comfortably and take them all the way back into Boston (or vice versa). This form of ground transport starts around $120/person round trip, but they’ll pick up from all major airports in the area, including Boston Logan International Airport.
- Taxis: Taxis are another option but be sure to call ahead and book one as they may not always show up on demand when you need them! A ride between New York City and Boston can take anywhere from five hours or more if traffic is heavy, so make sure of how much time you’ll have in either city before booking a taxi. The cost should be around $600-700 round trip for two people, depending on how far out of town your destination airport is located (e.g., it would cost less to go from JFK than Teterboro).
- Rent a car: If you have a little more time on your hands, you may want to consider renting a car to save money. You can find rental companies at the airport, and they will have cars available for rent that are already outfitted with GPS, so there’s no need to worry about getting lost! This option is also suitable while you are on long vacations with your family or friends as it will allow you to travel how, when, and where you please.
Things to consider when planning your trip to New York and Boston:
- Keep a budget: If you are traveling for personal reasons, then it is essential to have a budget to avoid overspending. Take into consideration how much you make and how long your trip will be so that you can stay on track with how much money is coming out of your account each day.
- Make sure to book early: If there’s one thing we learned, it’s that booking flights or tickets earlier can save you a lot of hassle later on. The earlier, the better!
- Stay safe while traveling by train: When riding Amtrak, please keep any valuables close at hand as trains are often targeted for robberies due to the fact they travel through some less than desirable areas, which can put passengers at risk. In addition, always purchase an Amtrak ticket before boarding the train, and don’t forget about your luggage.
Always have access to the map:
When traveling by plane, be sure to download the map of how to get from point A (Boston) and point B (New York City).
- If you’re using public transportation: Boston’s subway system is very easy to navigate while in New York City; take care not to let the underground turn into a maze. Definitely bring your earbuds for this one, as there are plenty of people talking on their cell phones!
- Be aware when taking cabs between cities: Cab drivers may try and charge more money than they should or go down different routes which can lead passengers astray. In order to avoid these problems, it would be best to travel with someone else at all times if possible.
- Do research before booking hotels/hostels: When booking a hotel, be sure to check how many stars it’s rated and what the reviews are about.
The key things to remember for travel between Boston and New York City are not only how to reach there but how to stay safe while doing so. Remember these tips when planning your next vacation trip and have fun exploring all of Boston has to offer!