Making different kinds of candles is fun. Plenty of people make candles at home using candle making materials. If you are new to the world of candle making then it will be helpful to learn the basics of making candles.
You can use candle making kit that is supplied by leading online stores selling all kinds of materials. Online shops like Aussie Candle Supplies provide every material required to make candles of your choice at a reasonable price.
How to make candles at home?
- Firstly, transfer the wax you have bought into a glass bowl or a double boiler. For melting it in a glass bowl, you should keep the bowl in a pan half-filled with water. It helps to melt the wax evenly without sticking to the bowl.
- It is beneficial to melt the wax while boiling the water in the pan at lower heat. You need to stir the wax gently with a spatula till it all changes to liquid.
- In the meantime, you can arrange the right size of wick in the mould or the container you want to pour the wax into. To place the wick in the centre perfectly, you can use masking tape. You just need to make the hole in the centre of the tape to let wick pass through it to stand straight at the centre of the container.
- You can now add three or four drops of aromatic oil to the melted wax. Some like to add herbs or buds of scented flowers as well. Stir it well before pouring into the mould or containers. You can add liquid dye colour while stirring the melted wax. Some even like to add flowers, beads, marbles and other transparent materials to make the candles look lovely.
- It will take at least 12 hours to 24 hours for the wax to set completely. You can stick anything on the container sides before pouring the melted wax into them.
Candle making kits are available in different types. There are even kits for kids and beginners to make candles. Usually, the pack contains beeswax, soy wax, wicks and other essential materials to make candles. In the festive season, making candles at home is a good idea for decoration, and they make great gifts too.
Tips to make candles perfectly at home:
- Soy wax is the appropriate one to make a container candle. It is soft, eco-friendly and spread aroma better than beeswax.
- You can even blend organic wax to make candles. Beeswax has a unique golden colour that shines more when blends with soy wax.
- Choose the right shape container and it should have the quality to withstand the hot temperature of the wax.
- Make sure you know whether the essential oils can withstand hot temperature, as many won’t mix well with the wax if they have a low flash point. They may catch fire, and so it is best to use the ones recommended on the internet or by the seller of candle materials.
Making candles is an enjoyable activity and quite useful.