Paintings are a great way to add personality and character to your home, but they can also be expensive. In this post, we’ll give you 10 tips to make your painting look better without spending a lot of money. From using the right type of paint to a few effective painting techniques, we’ve got you covered! So grab your brush and get started!
Effective Ways To Paint Like A Pro
1. Choose the Right Colour for Your Room
One of the most important steps in painting like a professional is choosing the right colour for your room. The colour of your walls can have a huge impact on the overall look and feel of your home, so it’s important to take the time to select a shade that you love.
Like what most painters would tell you, there are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a colour for your walls. Firstly, think about the mood you want to create in the space. Certain colours can make a room feel more relaxed or energetic. Secondly, consider the natural light in the room. Some colours may look different in different types of lighting, so testing out a few samples before making your final decision is crucial.
2. Use Light Colors to Make a Room Look Bigger
One of the simplest ways to make a small room look bigger is to use light colours on the walls. Light colours reflect light, making the room feel brighter and more open. For the best effect, choose a soft, pale shade like white, cream, or light blue. Not only will this help make the room look bigger, but it will also create a calming atmosphere.
If you’re not ready to commit to painting the entire room, you can still use light colours to your advantage. Try painting one accent wall in a light colour. This will draw the eye upward and make the room feel more spacious.
3. Dark Colors Can Make a Room Feel Cozier
Dark colours can make a room feel cozy, while light colours can make a space feel airy and open. If you are unsure of what tones to use in your own home, consider starting with a dark colour. Below are a few of our favourite dark paint colours to help get you started.
- Inky Black: This rich hue is perfect for creating an intimate setting. It also has the added benefit of making furniture and architectural details stand out.
- Deep Burgundy: This colour is perfect for adding a touch of luxury to any space. It is rich and inviting, which makes it ideal for a formal living room or dining room.
- Charcoal Gray: This is a great alternative to black if you want a slightly lighter look. It is still very versatile and can be used in a variety of settings.
- Navy Blue: This colour is perfect for creating a cozy and inviting space. It also has a calming effect, making it ideal for a bedroom or home office.
4. Experiment With Different Painting Techniques
One way to become a better painter is to experiment with different painting techniques. This can help you find the styles and methods that work best for you. It can also be a lot of fun.
Here are a few different painting techniques to try:
- Wet-on-wet painting. Wet-on-wet painting is a technique where you paint on a wet surface. This can create some interesting effects, like blurring and merging of colours.
- Dry-brush painting. Dry-brush painting is the opposite of wet-on-wet painting – you paint on a dry surface with a dry brush. This creates a more textured look, with each individual brushstroke being more visible.
- Glazing. Glazing is a technique where you paint a thin layer of colour over another layer that has already dried. This can create a beautiful translucent effect.
5. Add Texture to Your Painting With Stencils or Sponges
Adding texture and interest to your painting can be done using stencils or sponges. By applying paint to these surfaces in a variety of colours and then pressing them onto your canvas, you can create all sorts of interesting textured effects.
If you’re using a sponge, try dabbing on the paint in a random pattern. You can also experiment with different colours and values to create a more dimensional effect. For stencils, you’ll want to use a denser foam brush so that the paint doesn’t seep under the edges.
Another way to add texture is by using modelling paste or other thickening agents. This will give your painting more body and help to create interesting texture effects. Simply apply the paste to your surface and then use a variety of tools to create the desired effect. Once it’s dry, you can paint over it or leave it as is.
6. Use Contrasting Colors to Create Visual Interest
Contrasting colours can make a big impact on your painting. By using two colours that are opposite each other on the colour wheel, you can create a lot of visual interest. This is a great technique to use if you want to add drama to your painting or make a bold statement.
Some examples of contrasting colours are red and green, blue and orange, or yellow and purple. When you use these colours together, they will really stand out. You can use them in different ways to create different effects.
7. Paint Only During a Dry Weather
If you want to paint like a professional, make sure that you only paint during dry weather conditions. This means avoiding painting in direct sunlight or when it’s humid outside.
One of the benefits of painting during dry weather is that the paint will have a chance to properly dry and set. This is important because if the paint isn’t given enough time to dry, it can start to chip and peel.
Another benefit of painting during dry weather is that you’ll have an easier time keeping the paint from running. When it’s humid, there’s a higher chance that the paint will run or drip off of the surface you’re painting. This is especially true if you’re using latex-based paint.
8. Purchase High-Quality Paint Brushes and Other Tools
You cannot paint like a professional without having the right tools. This includes high-quality paintbrushes, as well as other necessary supplies. Some good brands to consider include Purdy, Wooster, and DeVilbiss. You will also need drop cloths, masking tape, sandpaper, ladders, and scaffolding if you will be working on a large project.
With the right tools and supplies, you will be well on your way to painting like a professional. Just remember to take your time and follow the directions on the products that you are using. If you do that, you should have no problem getting great results.
9. Always Use a Primer
Another great way to achieve a professional paint job is to always use a primer. A primer provides a uniform base for your paint and helps to cover any previous colours or wall treatments. It also helps to fill in any cracks or imperfections in the walls. Applying a primer before painting will help you achieve a smooth, even finish.
10. Paint Starting From the Top
Starting from the top will ensure that you get an even coat and avoid any drips or runs. It can be tempting to start at the bottom and work your way up, but this can lead to problems down the road.
Starting from the top also allows you to see where you’ve already painted and helps to prevent missed spots. Use a ladder or step stool to reach the highest points, and take your time to ensure that each area is well covered.
If you’re considering painting your home yourself, we would recommend hiring a professional. Not only is the processing time-consuming and labour-intensive, but unless you have experience in this type of work, the results are likely to be disappointing.
Professional painters will do a much better job and they may even be able to save you money in the long run by helping you choose colours that are both stylish and affordable. Plus, these experts can help with the often difficult task of moving furniture and other belongings out of the way so that the painting can take place quickly and efficiently.