The CEH Exam is amongst the top-most certifications for IT Security Professionals. With the increasing frequency and complexity of malicious cyber-attacks on organizations causing sizable losses and downtime, most top organizations are on the lookout for certified ethical hacking professionals or white hat hackers who can outsmart cyber criminals. Pioneered by the EC Council (International Council of Electronic Commerce Consultants), the CEH course and eventual cyber security certification equips you with knowhow to prevent and counter cyber-attacks, inspect network infrastructures, assess and resolve IT security vulnerabilities, and so on.
Eligibility Criteria for Ethical Hacker Certification
- In order to be eligible for the Ethical Hacker Certification, you need to have at least 2 years of work experience in IT Security, and submit your employer’s verification letter as proof during the application process.
- You need to get yourself registered on the EC Council website, pay the application fees and get an exam voucher as well.
- Thereon you will be sent the eligibility code and exam voucher code to select your preferred slot for the CEH Exam.
- If you don’t have the aforesaid work experience, you need to attend EC Council Training Module. You can avail this training online through an official/approved/accredited e-learning service provider.
Crucial Details about the CEH Examination
The CEH Exam is conducted online with a total duration of 4 hours and has 125 multiple choice questions in total. Different areas of the syllabus have been accorded different weightage. It is worthwhile to keep this mind to score high.
|Background||4%||6||Networking, Web and System Technologies, Mobile and Telecom Technologies, Malware Operations, Backup, Network Archives, Communication SOPs|
|Analysis||13%||19||Data and Systems Analysis, Risk Assessment, Technical Assessment|
|Tools/Programs/Systems||32%||40||Network Intrusions, Wireless Sniffers, Cryptography Techniques, Boundary Protection, Networking Topologies, Access Control, Programming Languages, Vulnerability Scanning, Routers, Switches, Domain Name System, Subnetting, Scripting Languages, Database Structures, Antivirus Programs, Operating Environments|
|Procedure/Methodology||20%||25||Cryptography, Service Oriented Architecture, Information Security Incident, Security Testing Methods, Security Architecture, N-tier Application Design, IP Networking|
|Regulation/Policy||4%||5||Security Policies and Compliance Regulations like PCI|
|Ethics||2%||3||Professional Code of Conduct and the ethical aspects of hacking|
How to Prepare for Ethical Hacker Certification?
- Based on the above study areas and weightage allotted to each, prepare a checklist that accords the necessary priority to each part of the syllabus.
- Chart out a Study Plan and adhere to it. As a working professional, you might not always have the time to attend seminars and briefs, but try to remain up-to-date with the latest cyber security hacks.
- Getting ample practice in virtual labs is very important for clearing the CEH exam. Mere theoretical knowledge is not sufficient.
- Go through the study material carefully and jot down key points. Also ensure that you attempt the practice tests a sufficient number of times.
- Check out the various CEH exam preparation resources online. There are many E-Learning service providers that provide assistance to course through the vast syllabus. If you don’t have time for laborious learning, seeking professional guidance can really help you clear the exam in the first attempt.
Advantages of Clearing the CEH Exam
If you are interested in becoming a top Cyber Security/Network Security Expert, this certified ethical hacking examination can chart the course of a very exciting and lucrative career. Here are the top advantages of clearing the CEH Examination:-
- With an increasing number of businesses traversing to digital infrastructures and big data, the threat of cyber attacks is massive. Therefore the need for well-trained and certified ethical hackers who can think like the fraudulent hackers is extremely high.
- If you have been confined to penetration testing on the job, this course will really enhance your understanding of IT Risks and Vulnerabilities at a deeper level.
- Familiarises you with the latest white hat hacking tools to counter cyber criminals.
- Opens up your career prospects of working with world-class organizations, across both government and private sectors.
- Makes you future-ready, given that ethical hacking is going to gain increasing prominence in the times to come.
- If you are keen on being self-employed, your CEH learning can help you become a freelance cyber security consultant, or open up your own cyber security firm.
- As an IT/networking security professional, being CEH certified increases your chances of getting an increment and promotion.
Learning how to think like cyber criminals and hackers is the best way to prepare strategies to fight back. One of the most trusted certified ethical hacking programs offered by the EC Council, the CEH cyber security certification has witnessed widespread adaptation as a hiring standard for top organizations. Becoming CEH certified can prove to be a game-changer for your career in multiple dimensions.